The Louisiana Department of Education offers a Curriculum Initiative to help Type III centers purchase a Tier One curriculum. Centers can get reimbursed for up to 80% of the cost of purchasing curricula. Type III early learning centers are eligible to participate in the current fiscal year of the initiative (July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020), regardless of their participation in previous fiscal years. That means that if your center applied for reimbursement for curricula purchased between July 1, 2018 and June 30, 2019, your center could purchase another two curricula in the current fiscal year (July 1, 2019 to May 31, 2020). All applications are due by May 15, 2020.
- LDE'S Child Care Curriculum Guidance
- Tier I Curriculum Reviews
- Application - if you have trouble filling it out in your browser, right click on the link and choose the "Save link as" option to save to your desktop or downloads folder.
- Important Facts about the Initiative
Overview of the Curriculum Initiative Process
The Louisiana Department of Education launched a Curriculum Initiative to help Type III centers purchase a Tier One curriculum. Centers can get reimbursed for up to 80% of the cost of purchasing curricula.
- A center purchases a Tier I Curriculum.Your Agenda for Children coach is happy to walk you through the process of selecting a curriculum for your program. While we can't recommend any specific program, all of our coaches have received training on the Tier One curriculum and can give you more information about each. You can purchase a maximum of two curriculum kits (one Infant/Toddler and one Pre-K, two infant/toddler kits or two pre-k kits.) KEEP INVOICE(S) AND DELIVERY RECEIPT(S).
- The program leader submits an application and all required documentation to Agenda for Children. Click here for the application. The staff here at Agenda for Children is happy to walk you through the process. Contact your coach or Agenda for Children's office at 504-586-8509 with any questions you may have.
- Agenda for Children, your local Child Care Resource and Referral agency (R&R), reviews your application and submits it to the Louisiana Department of Education (LDE) for reimbursement.
- Agenda for Children writes your center a check for the approved amount of the reimbursement (or pays you electronically if your program is set up through bill.com). You can expect to receive reimbursement within thirty days. We are committed to working as hard as possible to process applications and payments in a timely fashion. We will also be sure to keep you updated on the status of your application and payment.
- The LDE approves the request and reimburses Agenda for Children. LDE will reimburse centers for 80% of the costs of purchasing up to two curricula, up to a maximum reimbursement of $4,000 (meaning that the curricula can cost up to $5,000). If the LDE finds any of your purchases to be ineligible, we will invoice your program to recoup any funds deemed ineligible by the LDE.
- Your center follows up with training and ongoing support to help your teachers implement the curriculum. Your coach can help you implement a curriculum and develop a plan to support your teachers' professional development!
Frequently Asked Questions
Which curricula can I buy?
You can only be reimbursed for Tier I curricula. You can see a full list of Tier I curricula in the Child Care Curriculum Guidance. Please be sure to check the list of approved curricula to make sure that the particular curricula you have selected is on the Tier I list before making a purchase!
Where can I learn more?
- The LDE has put together Child Care Curriculum Guidance to help centers understand more about the process, how to select the right curriculum for your program and the different Tier I curricula.
- Check out the LDE Curriculum Reviews (located in the "Early Childhood Education" section under "Instructional Materials."
- Come to our offices to see some of the curriculum kits in person. PLEASE CALL BEFORE YOU COME! We highly encourage you to make an appointment if you want to visit our Northshore or Houma offices due to the fact that most of our staff members are usually out of the office, providing coaching and training to centers. We currently have the following curricula on site: Creative Curriculum for Infants, Toddlers and Twos, Creative Curriculum for Preschool, DIG Develop. Inspire. Grow. Ages 3-4, Frog Street Ages 0-3, Frog Street Ages 3-4.
Can I receive reimbursement for sales taxes or shipping?
You cannot receive reimbursement for sales taxes or shipping, so be sure to budget accordingly!
What is the maximum reimbursement?
Centers can receive UP TO $4,000. They will be reimbursed for 80% of the cost of the curriculum itself (not taxes or shipping charges), up to a total curriculum cost of $5,000. Please note that you will not be reimbursed for more than two curricula, however.
How do I submit my application and supporting documentation?
Once your application package is complete, you can submit it through one of the following options:
- Scan all of the documents listed above and email the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mail COPIES of all of your materials and documentation to: Agenda for Children, Attn: Curriculum Initiative, 8300 Earhart Blvd. Suite 201, New Orleans, LA 70118. PLEASE DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL RECEIPTS OR SHIPPING LABELS! Please note that all applications and materials must be received by the 5th of each month in order to be submitted with that month's batch of applications to LDE. Agenda for Children is not responsible for any delays in mail service.
- Hand-deliver COPIES of all of your materials and documentation to your local Agenda for Children office during “Curriculum Office Hours:”
8300 Earhart Blvd. Suite 201
New Orleans, LA 70118
Curriculum Office Hours: Monday – Friday 9 am – 5 pm
2486 Florida St.
Mandeville, LA 70448
Curriculum Office Hours: Mondays Only 1 pm – 4 pm
1340 West Tunnel Blvd, Suite 550
Houma, LA 70360
Curriculum Office Hours: Mondays Only 9 am – 5 pm
If I want to buy two curricula, do I have to buy them at the same time?
No. You can purchase one curricula now and receive reimbursement, and then purchase a second one at a later date.
I know that I can get reimbursed for buying two curricula. Does that mean that each curriculum has to be for a different age group?
No-if you want to do so, you can buy two Infant/Toddler or two Preschool curricula. Of course, you can buy one Infant/Toddler and one Preschool curriculum.
When do I need to submit my materials and application?
Please submit your application and all supporting materials and documentation as soon as possible after purchase, but no later than the 5th of the month after receipt. All applications should be submitted by May 15, 2020.
What is my "site code"?
Every early childhood provider (including centers and schools) that is part of a local community network has a site code. You can find your site code on our web site or the Louisiana Believes web site.