COVID-19 Child Care for Essential Workers
The Louisiana Department of Health has strongly urged that all children stay at home if at all possible. Respite Child Care Services are intended for parents / guardians who have no other option for child care, as they are essential to public order during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
If you have the option to keep your child in the care of trusted family or friends, please do so. Thank you for doing your part in protecting public health and safety!
Emergency Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)
If you cannot afford child care tuition but you are a critical infrastructure worker, you are likely eligible for Emergency Child Care Assistance from the Louisiana Department of Education. Learn more in the Department's one-pager, Child Care Availability for Critical Personnel, or download an application. The Department is trying to process applications within 48 hours, and encourages you to fax or email your application to make the process as fast as possible.
Find an In-Home Provider
Care.com is providing three months of free, premium membership to Care.com to critical frontline and essential workers in Louisiana who would like to identify potential caregivers for their children during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please note that most caregivers available through Care.com charge for their services, and families are responsible for paying them. Visit https://Louisiana.care.com to learn more. Care.com's free premium membership for Louisiana essential workers was also highlighted in a recent Nola.com article.
Find a Licensed Child Care Center
The early learning centers have chosen to participate in the Louisiana Department of Education and Agenda for Children’s COVID-19 Respite Child Care Services Initiative, and may currently have open seats available for qualifying essential personnel in need of temporary relief child care. Availability listed is an estimate as of the time at which this list was published. Please note that a center may not be listed here for a few different reasons-it may be closed, it may be open but isn't accepting new enrollment, or it may be a center that has not informed Agenda that it would like to enroll new children at this time.
Listing of Open Centers Willing to Enroll New Children
- Jefferson Parish
- Orleans Parish
- All Parishes in our region (Ascension, Jefferson, Lafourche, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. James, St. John the Baptist, St. Tammany, Terrebonne, and Washington)
If you represent a licensed child care center in our 12-parish service delivery area that would like to be included in this listing, please fill out our Respite Care Interest Form for Providers. Our staff will then contact you for further information.
Important Notes on the Listing of Open Centers
- Availability is subject to constant change. The availability listed below is an estimate as of the time it was published. We are updating vacancy information on wa weekly basis.
- Call the center before visiting, to ensure seats are still available.
- Child care availability is very limited. Essential personnel seeking care are not guaranteed a spot at a participating child care center.
- If you are enrolled through the Respite Child Care Services Initiative, you are not guaranteed the ability to continue at your chosen early learning center beyond the duration of the pandemic.
- Only Type III centers and registered family child care providers can accept Child Care Assistance Program payments (CCAP), so be sure to make a note of which centers are Type III programs if you are using (or plan to use) Child Care Assistance.
- New guidance requires lower group sizes. We encourage you to ensure that the center you choose is aware of these new regulations and is following them. If a classroom includes an infant, the group size can be no larger than five children and adults. For all other age groups, the maximum group size is ten, including children and adults. If you find a center that is not following these guidelines, please notify the Louisiana Department of Education at LDELicensing@la.gov or 225.342.9905.