Essential Regulations for Early Learning Centers
- Licensing Regulations (Bulletin 137)
- Health Regulations (Sanitarian Code) Note that the sections specific to early learning centers are included in Chapter XXI, page 477 of the printed document or the 508th page of the electronic document.
- Fire Marshall Inspection Checklist for Early Learning Centers
Online Courses for Louisiana Teachers & Directors
The following resources are available at the Louisiana Department of Education web site, which features a wealth of information for teachers and administrators.
Other Important Information
School Readiness Tax Credits
- School Readiness Tax Credit Guidance (LDE) provides guidance for teachers, directors, centers and center owners on the School Readiness Tax Credits.
- Louisiana Department of Revenue offers additional information about School Readiness Tax Credits, including those available to businesses, including a 100% refundable option for businesses donating to a Child Care Resource and Referral agency, such as Agenda for Children..
Healthy, Active Children
- Louisiana Screen Time Regulations Toolkit
- Caring for Our Children: National Health and Safety Performance Standards Guidelines for Early Care and Education Programs is a collection of 686 national standards that represent the best evidence, expertise, and experience in the country on quality health and safety practices and policies that should be followed in today's early care and education settings. The standards were developed by the American Academy of Pediatrics and the National Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child Care and Early Education (NRC) at the University of Colorado College of Nursing Anschutz Medical Campus, Aurora, Colorado.
- Information on Developmental Milestones from the CDC's Act Early campaign provides downloadable checklists on developmental milestones. You can also order free printed copies of some of their materials to distribute to families. They even have a dedicated page for early childhood educators, which includes milestones, tips for communicating with families and an online continuing education course.
Taking your Career to the Next Level
Louisiana Pathways: a Career Development System for early care and education professionals
Louisiana has a Career Development System for early care and education professionals, which is called Louisiana Pathways. Frequently asked questions about Louisiana Pathways is a good starting place to learn more. If you work at a Type III early learning center, there are many ways that Pathways can help you. For example:
- Pathways verifies teachers' eligibility for the School Readiness Tax Credits and helps you keep track of where you're at on the "career ladder." Teachers at Type III early learning centers are eligible for refundable tax credits of up to $3,315, depending on their educational credentials. Visit the Pathways Enrollment Page for more information on how to enroll in Pathways. You can find out more about the value of the tax credits at the Louisiana Department of Revenue's web site or on the Pathways web site.
- Pathways provides scholarships for Ancillary Certificate classes, CDA assessment fees, Administrative training and college coursework. Whether the next step in your career is to get your CDA or obtain your bachelor's degree, Pathways can help you take the next step. Learn more on their Scholarships page.
Ancillary Certificate Information
By 2019, all lead teachers in Type III early learning centers will need to hold at least an ancillary certificate. The Louisiana Department of Education put together a list of Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.s) about Early Childhood Ancillary Certificates.
If you already hold a CDA, associate's degree in early childhood or bachelor's degree, you can apply for your Ancillary Certificate right now, at no cost. Detailed instructions on how to apply are included in the F.A.Q. document.